Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Quicksand

One of my favourite movies is The Replacements starring Keanu Reeves. There are so many wonderful lines from that movie.

“Keep them from shaking their ass for two minutes!”

“Clifford Franklin is looking for a new ho!”

“California oranges, Texas cactus. We think your team needs a little practice!”

“Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory…is forever.”

“Red means STOP.”

“I love to see a fat guy score…you get a fat guy spike and a fat guy dance.”

I could go on and on. I never tire of this movie. :P

One thing that always gets to me about this movie is the locker room talk. Coach McGinty writes on the chalkboard in big letters FEAR and asks the players to discuss their fears.

The answers start of humourous…spiders, bees, heights…etc., etc. Then one person pipes up and says “quicksand”.

At first everyone’s thinking the literal quick sand in the jungles. Then the coach asks for clarification.

In the words of the player, Shane Falco, “You're playing and you think everything is going fine. Then one thing goes wrong. And then another. And another. You try to fight back, but the harder you fight, the deeper you sink. Until you can't move... you can't breathe... because you're in over your head. Like quicksand.”

I didn’t understand this concept until I feel like I’m in over my head with life and I can’t breathe. I literally feel like a giant is sitting on my chest and I’m gasping for air.

Quicksand does not creep up on us. We step in it…whether deliberately or because we weren’t paying attention we end up putting ourselves in the position to sink.

Devil’s Snare. It’s a fictitious weed people get ensnared in. The more one struggles the faster and harder the weed will constrict. If one is calm and does not fret he has a greater chance of freeing himself.

Quicksand and Devil’s Snare are life altering situations that can make or break a person. Some people will resort to suicide just to avoid the suffering. Some will wallow in self pity…others will simply die waiting for help to arrive not realizing there was a tool available to assist them.

A couple of weeks ago we discussed worry and how it’s a sin and I was pleased to have this brought to light because many times in my life things will be going on and I hear, “Why aren’t you worried about this? What’s wrong with you?” I have never been a worrier. Why worry? Give it to G-d and He’ll take care of it. If it were in His nature He’d worry for you. :P

Matthew 6 is very clear on worry. Matthew 6: 25-34 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

We are told not to worry. We are told to take heart and allow for His gloury to work because it will. It is completely human nature to worry about things. Parent worry about their children, spouses worry about each other…adults worry about finances and whatnot. THIS. IS. SIN. We are told specifically NOT to worry.

Psalm 55:22 tells us to: Cast your cares on the L-RD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken.

Even when we do feel shaken we are to turn towards Him for relief, for peace, and for contentment so He will get the gloury for it.

I may be walking through a dark valley with a blindfold on, but He’s holding my hand and getting me through it.

Psalm 23:4 & 6 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the L-RD for ever.

Thank you Father…for everything You have ever done and everything I know You’re going to do. Your grace is full of mercy and for that I praise You.

1 comment: